Wednesday, June 16, 2010

College Student al Fin!

No one can wait until the moment they get out of high school and finally attend college. That's how I was, and let me tell ya', it sounds easier than it is. It was a change, but one can manage.

As I stepped into my class, Small Group Communication, I didn't know what to expect. I was told professors were not quit nice, and only gave lectures. To my surprise, my professor, Dr. Toller, was a nice lady. Our class started by having every student introduce themselves and saying something they enjoyed doing. Then she started explaining the course, and the course syllabus.

In high school, we are treated differently in the way the professor teaches, and the interaction between student and teachers. In college, we teach ourselves. In this speech course, we had a quiz the second day of class over about thirty pages, and have had six quizzes in less than two weeks. As I mentioned before, we actually have to study before our quizzes all by ourselves! Sounds harsh for any high school student who thinks they have it easy once they get to college. I enjoy our class though. It is all about working in groups and leaning how to cooperate. Our professor treats everyone like peers and our groups discussions are very mature. In Group Communications, our class consists of going over what we already tested on and watching video clips that reflect on the topic.We are also divided into smaller groups and do projects together to learn how to do group work. If one reads the chapter and cooperates with our individual groups, the class is not so bad, but actually a fun class.

To help us prepare better for our tests, Car'lika, our RTA has been helping us study on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. Our small study group consists of us reteaching the material to each other. This seems to help with the ten question quizzes. And on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, in college 101, we've been learning about resumes and been given presentations. It will help us much by making our senior year less frustrating, since we will have more background knowledge than others.

College is actually very different from high school.We study the material before it is taught and the diversity in age groups is large in different classes. It is cool to walk to a different class and enjoying a little more liberty, well a lot more liberty, than in high school. One is responsible for one's self, and how one wants to succeed.

This is a great experience, and will make my freshmen year of college way easier. I will have developed a better way of studying. This will help me be prepared because I am a college student. I know what to expect, and other people might have a harder time than me. I'm glad I had this opportunity to be a college student during my summer vacation. I just have to get up earlier and be ready to go while most high school student are still sleeping, but it's manageable.
My college transition consisted of studying, which I was not used to, but my freshmen year will be a successful one!

No comments:

Post a Comment